This is a great option if you are looking for a nice, easy drinking, fruit forward style of Chardonnay and it is made from Organically grown grapes – meaning only organic materials are allowed to be used in the vineyards. The 2011 Santa Julia Chardonnay is fermented in stainless steel tanks. You get lots of green apple and tropical fruits on the palate with just a hint of vanilla on the finish but the wine is crisp and bright. A nice option for a house white wine and you can feel good about the fact that no chemicals were used in the grape growing process – what’s not to like, especially at a price point under $15.
Ahh there is nothing I love more than the end of a fun, hot summer as the leaves begin to change color and the air gets a bit cooler and in the evenings. You can hear the local high school marching band practicing and it is time for bon fires and sweaters in the evenings and chili and pumpkin patches – and for delicious red wine.
These are some of my favs we will be sipping on at home this fall season.
2007 Ortman o2 Cuvee Eddy
So this is a revamped, re packaged version of a wine that we loved right off the bat. Best part about it is the more affordable price point (originally $19.99, this wine is now competitively priced at $15.99!). It also went from being unfiltered, to now filtered. However even with these changes, this wine is still very much of the same quality and integrity as it’s predecessor. A yummy, slightly spicy blend of Grenache, Syrah, Mouvedre and Petite Syrah that showcases lots of rich black fruit flavors. Bold on the palate but still elegant, not over ripe or too in your face. I love this wine just for sipping – particularly when I think about sitting out enjoying a bon fire and the cool fall air.
2008 Carpentino Dogajolo Toscana
So this is one of my fall favorites first because of the beautiful label. Does this not totally make you think “fall”? A blend of Sangiovese and Cabernet, they describe this wine as a young “Super Tuscan” – so you get the intensity of the fruit of a young wine and the elegance from the oak aging. A nice mesh of fruitiness and earth. I would probably serve this with some prosciutto, crusty Italian bread, olives. A nod to fall, and to some of the earthier flavors and foods.
2009 Masi “Paso Doble”
I recently tasted this interesting wine and was immediately intrigued. A blend of 70% Malbec – which was odd coming from Masi, a Italian producer whose wines I have been enjoying for quite some time. The other 30% is made up of Corvina, a classic Italian varietal found mainly in Valpolicella and Amarone. However here we have this mesh of Italian and Argentinian grapes, and the result was really pretty intense. If you have ever tasted a Syrah that perhaps has a but of a bacon or smoked meat component on the nose, this would be a step up from that. My husband described it as a step up from bacon – maybe pancetta. In short, the nose is savoury and rich. The wine is bold, rich, with sweet fruit coming through, and an elegant texture. It got better with the second glass and as it continued to open up and evolve. Drinking this wine makes me think about sitting next to a big roaring fire when. A must try this fall season if you are looking for something different and delicious!